Regulations - State by State

Information will be posted alphabetically as it is received from each state. Any hard copy information will be scanned and posted as it is received. Individual state departments were emailed asking for their current regulation and their responses are as follows: 

To do your own search - try this link:

Alabama - (3/26/01) "This agency does not have any regulations concerning primate permits."

Keith Guyse (
Assistant Chief
Wildlife Section

Alaska - (3/29/01) "I am responding to your email requesting information about applying for a primate permit in Alaska. Per the attached Alaska regulation 5 AAC 92.029, a person is only allowed to import and possess chimpanzees in Alaska.  The two species allowed are Pan troglodytes and Pan paniscus.  No other primates are allowed to be imported or possessed here." Click here to read information.
Jackie Kephart (
Wildlife Biologist 
Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game 
Permit Section 



California - (3/28/01) "You can find the current CA  regulations (rev. 9/ 26/98) for the importation, transportation and possession of live restricted animals at  However, to view the regulations in their entirety you should also scroll down to subdivision 3. general regulations .  Since you provided a mailing address, I will mail a regulation booklet  as well, and if you have further questions please feel free to contact me at (916) 227-1305. ("

Colorado - Does not allow possession of primates by private individuals, including Helping Hands monkeys.


Delaware - (3/27/01) "The Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife does not regulate the possession of primates or other exotic animals.  The regulation of such animals in 
Delaware is handled by the Department of Agriculture, State Veterinarians office.  Information about the Department of Agriculture can be obtained from the State of Delaware web site."

Lloyd Alexander, Wildlife Administrator (

District of Columbia 

Florida - (3/26/01) "Please go to the following two sites:  ("

Georgia - (3/28/01) "Primates are not allowed in Georgia as pets.  They are covered under the Wild Animal Law (wild animals are not able to be possessed in Georgia without a Wild Animal Permit).  Wild Animals permits are only issued to breeders and exhibitors.  The Wild Animal Law is not available on our website so I will send you a copy to the address given below.  On our website you can access the Special Permit Unit, the office which issues wild animal permits, at, click on wildlife, click on game management, the click on special permits.  This will give you a little information on what animals are legal and not legal in Georgia.  Thank you for your interest in Georgia regulations.  The information requested will be mailed to you shortly."

Mary Kay Blalock
Special Permit Unit
2109 US Highway 278 SE
Social Circle, GA  30025
706-557-3060 fax


Hawaii - (3/27/01) "Aloha,
We are in the process of developing just such a page. For now though, I am referring your question to Our Wildlife Program Manager, Paul Conry and to the Executive Secretary of the Natural Area Reserve System, Betsy Gagne. I have also included some information relevant to collecting native wildlife. Your situation of course is different in that non-human primates are not native to Hawaii and do not exist in the wild. Please feel free to contact either Paul or Betsy by phone at (808) 587-0166. We are currently five hours behind eastern standard time.
Ronald J. Cannarella, forester
DLNR/Division of Forestry & Wildlife
1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 325
Honolulu, HI 96813
tel (808) 587-4189
fax (808) 587-0160


Hawaii Administrative Rules  §13-122 and §13-124 require a permit issued by DLNR to legally "catch, possess, injure, kill, destroy, sell, offer for sale, or transport" any indigenous wildlife or introduced wild bird; including game birds, except those game birds which have been legally taken during an established hunting season.
 Hawaii Revised Statutes §183D-64 prohibits the export of any wild birds found in Hawaii, except for educational or scientific purposes.

General Condition B in DOFAW's standard Scientific Collecting Permit (wildlife including invertebrates):
   "This permit satisfies the permit requirement in Hawaii Administrative Rule §13-124-4.  It authorizes the permittee to conduct collecting activities on lands in Hawaii only when other collecting or land access requirements and obligations, such as access permits, are met.
     1. Activities conducted in DOFAW Natural Area Reserves require a Special Use Permit.  Contact Betsy Gagne, NARS Executive Secretary (phone:  808-587-0063, fax: 808-587-0160, e-mail:
2. A collecting or special use permit may be required for activities in DOFAW Forest Reserves (HAR §13-104-20,21).  Activities conducted on other lands under the jurisdiction of DOFAW/DLNR, such as Game Management Areas and Wildlife Sanctuaries, may require access permits.  To determine whether additional permits are necessary on DOFAW lands, contact the DOFAW Branch Manager on islands where activities are planned:
 Kauai ? Edwin Petteys, Branch Manager - phone: 808-274-3433, fax: 808-274-3438.
 Oahu and Kure Atoll ? Patrick Costales, Branch Manager ? phone: 808-973-9778, fax: 808-973-9781.
 Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe ? Robert Hobdy, Branch Manager ? phone: 808-984-8100, fax: 808-984-8111.
Hawaii ? Jon Giffin, Branch Manager ? phone: 808-974-4221, fax: 808-974-4221.
     3.   The permittee must obtain approval from other landowners on lands where activities are planned, including other Divisions of the DLNR, private landowners, tenants, and County, State and Federal agencies prior to conducting activities on lands under their jurisdiction."

Idaho - (3/26/01) "We do not have state regulations in Idaho on keeping primates here.  I was referred by Animal Control (through Idaho State  Dept of Agriculture) to the USDA, Western Sector, in Sacramento (916) 857-6205.  idfginfo  ("

Illinois - (3/26/01) "We do not regulate primates. You might try the Illinois Department of Agriculture."




Kansas - (3/25/01) "That would be under the Department of Animal Health, (785) 296-2326"
Mark Shoup (

(3/27/01) "Sorry, they do not show an e-mail address anywhere on their site.  Their
contact information is below, and their web site is:

Kansas Animal Health Department 
708 SW Jackson - Topeka, KS 66603-3714
phone: (785) 296-2326    fax: (785) 296-1765

Kentucky - (3/26/01) "we will send you a transportation permit and I will give you the URL for the regs. of exotic animals.   ("

Louisiana - (3/30/01) "The LA Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries doesn't regulate the ownership of primates.  You should contact the Dept. of Health and Hospitals to see if there is any legislation."
Maria Davidson (

Maine - Does not allow possession of primates by private individuals.

Maryland - (3/26/01) "You may email the Maryland Department of Natural Resources through their web site:"
MDE Webmaster (

(3/29/01) "To answer your question, the regulations that the Department of Natural Resources has on the possession of primates are included in the Code of Maryland Regulations, (COMAR)  It is online at .  However, these are not the only regulations on this subject that exist.  I believe the MD Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and certain county governments also have regulations dealing with primates, and I do not have any information on those."

Mary Jo Scanlan (
Permits Coordinator
Wildlife & Heritage Division



Minnesota - (3/27/01) "I am going to referring you to the US Fish and Wildlife: .  The MN DNR does not issue permits for primates.  You may want to check with any city or county governments to see if they have rules, regulations or permits on their level (  You may want to check with the MN Health Dept:  to see if they have any permit requirements."  

Til Later, Mary "Mac" (


Missouri - (3/26/01) "You'll find Missouri's Wildlife Code at:
Confined wildlife is covered in Chapter 9, but primates are not regulated by MDC.
Thanks for your interest in conservation.
Ken Drenon   (
573/751-4115, ext 3848

Montana - (3/28/01) "In general, a permit is not required for the possession of a primate in the state of Montana by the Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks.  Depending on what one intended to do with the primate, however, a permit may be required. For example, if you were to use the primate for any commercial purposes (to show, to attract business, etc.) then a "roadside menagerie permit" would be required from the state of Montana.  I'm sure that you are aware that an import permit would be required to bring the animal into the state.  That is required through the Department of Livestock here in Montana (406-444-2976). Also, I am not completely familiar with the USDA regulations concerning primates.  The USDA official in this area that would be a source of that information is Dr. Harvey McKelvey (703-812-6619).  I would just add that there is a FWP statute that would prohibit the release of any wild animal in Montana.  If I can be of any further help, let me know. 

Tim Feldner (
Manager, Commercial Wildlife Permitting
Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks 


Nevada - (3/28/01) "The Nevada Division of Wildlife does not require any permits for the possession or transportation of primates.  You may want to check with the County government to see if Amimal Control has regulations on primates.  Please feel free to contact me at (775) 688-1884 if you have any questions."
(3/29/01) "If you would like to link to the Nevada Administrative Code that exempts primates from permits with the Nevada Division of Wildlife, go to . Find Law Library, then Administrative Code, then search for 503.140.  This is the list of  exempt species.  Primates are listed under "m".  (webmistress note: scroll about halfway down the page to find this information)
Thank you, 
Paul Dankowski (
Game Warden

New Hampshire - (3/29/01) "Below is the link to the Fish & Game Administrative Rules governing the possession of wildlife here in NH.  NH law requires all persons
possessing controlled wildlife species to have the appropriate permit. Primates may only be possessed by USDA licensed Wildlife Exhibitors, who have also qualified for and obtained a State Exhibitor's Permit.  We do not allow primates to be kept as pets."
Sgt. Bonenfant (

New Jersey - (3/26/01) "See The links related to exotic permits lead to pages with a phone # and email address where you can inquire as to your situation. Paul Tarlowe, Wildlife Education Specialist (
The N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife is a professional, environmental agency dedicated to the protection, management and wise use of the state's fish and
wildlife resources."

New Mexico - (3/26/01) "I will mail out the importation regulations.  Thanks for asking."
Christine Sandoval  (
Special Permits Program Manager
Law Enforcement Division
P.O. Box 25112
Santa Fe, NM  87504
(505) 827-7897

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio - (3/29/01) "The ODNR-Division of Wildlife does not regulate non-native Ohio species. The only agency I can think of that might, would be the Department of Agriculture.
I hope this has helped."

Marc Sommer (
ODNR-Division of Wildlife

Oklahoma - (3/26/01) "This agency not regulate primates.  I am not sure who to tell you to contact,.  You might try the US Fish and Wildlife Service at 405/608-5251."

Paul (

Oregon - (3/28/01) "For this type of permit, you will need to contact the Or. Dept. of Agriculture. (503)986-4680."

Lori Hansen (
Information Specialist
Public Service Representative
Information and Education Department

Pacific Islands


Puerto Rico

Rhode Island


South Carolina

South Dakota - (3/28/01) "I know nothing of anything regarding primates in SD law, but I am having someone check on it for you.
(3/30/01) South Dakota has nothing in rule/law on primates.

John Forney (
Division of Wildlife

Tennessee - (3/26/01) "Unfortunately, we don't have that information online.  I'll give your address to our Law Enforcement Division.  They will send you some information.  Thanks for your e-mail. Charlie Freeman,Webmaster,TWRA ("

Texas - (3/26/01) "Thank you for your email. I had a look at the TDH Zoonosis Control Division website for an answer to your query. The closest I could come was this statement from one of their pages:
"To obtain information on the movement of livestock, poultry, birds, certain
wildlife, and exotic animals, contact the Texas Animal Health Commission at (512) 719-0700 or visit their website at "
You can also try sending them an email at:

Hope this is helpful. Good luck in your search.

Michael Hendrickson (
TDH Web Office



Virgin Islands

Virginia  - (3/25/01) "Regulations regarding non-native (exotic) species may be found
on our web site at:
The one most relevant to your inquiry is probably:
Becky Wajda  (
DGIF Web Manager"

Washington - (3/30/01) "Washington State does not have any requirement for a primate permit.  Some local jurisdictions may regulate or prohibit primates.  A person would need to inquire with the specific local jurisdiction regarding their requirements.  Washington State Department of Agriculture, State Veterinarians Office, requires an import permit before bringing any live wildlife into the state.  They may be contacted at (360) 902-1878.  I hope this is responsive to your need."
Steve Dauma, Lieutenant (
Enforcement Program

West Virginia

Wisconsin - (3/26/01) "Wisconsin DNR does not have any permits that cover primates.  Our permits only cover indigenous wild animals. You may need a permit from the USDA and there may be a local city, township or county requirement  to possess a primate. You will have to check with the local authorities for the location you will be in."



Back to Primate